Tuesday 6 February 2018

More winter birding in Warwickshire

Tuesday 6th February 2018

Despite several visits to the Hartshill Sewage outfall site there have been no further sightings of the Firecrest by yours truely. Numbers of other species namely Chiffchaff, Wren, Goldcrest, Robin and Grey Wagtail have remained largely constant. The Green Sandpiper, is still present and a Water Rail today was a first for me at this site.
     The Caldecote Hall walk produced a pair of Stonechats on the flood meadow. Meadow pipit and Skylark were more evident than of late.
Yesterday, I felt the need for a change of scene and duly took myself off to South Warwickshire: to near Shipston on Stour to be more exact. I had been told there was a sizeable roost of Red Kites at a wood in the area. Sure enough the birds started to assemble in the late afternoon. It was a magnificent sight as small groups arrived from every direction and circled over a small wood. I counted 28 birds before the icey wind got the better of me. Apparently over twice that number had been recorded recently, but I thoroughly enjoyed the birds I did see.

No comments:

Post a Comment