Tuesday 27 May 2014

Yellow Wagtails

Monday 26th May 2014
Not much to blog about recently, it was only towards the end of the week that I really did any local birding and then there wasnt a lot to talk about. Managed to catch up with the remaining warblers I hadnt seen and had good views of Cuckoo, Kingfisher, Lesser spotted Woodpecker at various sites in the Tame valley but generally not much to get excited about unless you were prepared to venture further afield.
Checking through the Photos from Cyprus again I found a quite interesting shot of a Wagtail I'd taken on a Football field. Most wagtails would have migrated through Cyprus much earlier and such is the variety and number of sub-species/intergrades that I usually dont spend alot of time sorting them out to sub species etc. but with so few wagtails to photograph I got the big book out to look at these.
Yellow Wagtail, showing features of Montacilla flava beema (female)
Yellow Wagtail, probably Montacilla flava feldegg (female)

No comments:

Post a Comment