Tuesday 12 April 2016

A good Birding day in North Warks.

Tuesday 12th April 2016

A few images from an eventful day in North Warwicks. An early.. ish start for a walk round Shustoke was the plan, ideally to beat the hoardes but I didnt quite make it. Almost, but a orange lycra clad young lady with a dog jogged round in front of me.I don't know about the birds but it certainly disturbed me. So much so that I completely missed a Kittiwake sitting on the water in front of the Sailing club. Luckily I met up with Pete Forbes who put me straight. Previously I had seen a single Arctic tern which strangely flew off to the south. I drove off east.
So after a quick stop in Atherstone I headed for the hills. Mancetter Quarry to be exact. The walk up was pretty uneventful. At the'summit' though there was a male Blackcap singing quietly and another Wheatear,definitely not the bird I'd seen the previous day. I was on the way down when I saw a bird I really wanted to see. It was calling as it approached and flew overhead, landing in an Ash tree very close to where I was standing. Wow, a male Ring Ouzel. It flew off and then was seen in flight again before disappearing over the brow of one of the hills. I was joined by Steve H. but unfortunately it could not be relocated.
My third walk of the day, from the Anchor pub to Cadecote Hall and back was unproductive.

Kittiwake, Shustoke Res.

Kittiwake

Kittiwake

Ring Ouzel, Mancetter

Wheatear

Charlie on the prowl

No comments:

Post a Comment