Sunday 18 March 2018

Woodlark in North Warwickshire

Sunday 18th March 2018

When the weather is bad - get out there. Haven't been too adventurous but quickly moving weather systems often bring in some unexpected birds with some more regular visitors in early spring.
A summer plummaged Black necked Grebe was good to see at Draycote Water.

Black necked Grebe, Draycote Water

A visit to Shustoke Res. looking for an early Sand Martin or even a Kittiwake was fruitless, but a stop at nearby Hurley did produce a decent flock of 108 Golden Plover. Other local sites: Caldecote, Mancetter and Legion Wood saw the usual Skylarks, Raven and Siskin respectively.On today's walk at Mancetter, however, there was something different. I had almost completed my usual circuit when I noticed a lark feeding along the edge of the track leading to Rothern's farm and some small holdings. Skylark? Most likely but a bit small and with a broad supercilium. I tried to get a few photographs, it was only when I enlarged the images that I was able to confirm my suspicions. A Woodlark. Bit of a rarity in Warwickshire. Wrong time, Wrong place, Wrong habitat - the joy of Birding.

 Woodlark, Nr Mancetter, N. Warks.

Woodlark

Woodlark

Woodlark

Woodlark

No comments:

Post a Comment