Sunday 29 April 2012

Green winged Teal at Blithfield Reservoir

Saturday 28th April 2012
Common Crane, Radford Meadows, Stafford
Common Crane
Common Crane
Common Crane
As I had to go to Staffordshire anyway I thought I'd drop in to Blithfield Reservoir which can produce some good birds at this time of the year. There was a gusty wind but thankfully no rain as I walked round Blithe and Tad bays. 4 Arctic terns and a couple of Common tern were seen off Beech tree point but not much else. After lunch back at the car I decided to have another look at Tad Bay. This time the Green winged Teal showed well at the northern end of the bay. As a bonus an Osprey circled overhead before dropping to take a fish.The bird sat in water for a couple of seconds before lifting itself and its prey into the air. A great sight but unfortunately no camera at hand to capture the moment. With news that the Common Crane was still present just up the road at Stafford I decided to move on and leave Cannock Chase for another day. With a bit of local help the Crane was located on the flooded flood meadows. This time the camera was able to capture a few distant images.

No comments:

Post a Comment