Saturday 2 June 2012

Ups and Downs

Saturday 2nd June 2012
Roller, Aldborough, E, Yorks.
A week which typified the Birder's lot began with missing out on the wader passage, such as it was, through the Tame valley due to commitements in London. This was followed up by dipping on the 'biggy' in the form of the Orphean warbler at Hartlepool headland. Local patch watching in the Tame valley and around Caldecote, near Nuneaton also proved very quiet, the highlight being Sedge warbler found at a new location. The week ended on a high though when I got a call from Julian Allen as a was in Sainsbury's. Did I want to go to Aldbrough, E.Yorks for the Roller? I must admit I hadn't been too excited about the bird when news broke as I'd overdosed on Roller in Cyprus but the prospect of Julian's company for the day, getting out of Sainsburys, and a Yorkshire tick was too much to resist. I grabbed a Pork pie from the next aisle and headed off to meet Julian on the M42. The Roller showed well in a ploughed field just outside Aldbrough, south of Hornsea feeding on insects on the ground. A stunning bird and a good end to the week.
Roller
Roller
Roller

2 comments: