Saturday 17 October 2015

Staying local

Friday 16th October 2015

With easterly winds throughout the week I went out with the faint hope of finding something more unusual in the little patches of suitable habitat around and about. On Friday I did the Caldecote bit of the Anker valley. The winter wheat fields along the track had 4 Fieldfares, 19+ Skylarks, a handful of Meadow pipits and a large flock of mixed Corvids. 9 Redwings flew over near the Hall and the usual couple of Cormorants flew along the river but no sign of any Tree Sparrows.
Moving on to Alvecote I started a leisurely stroll around Mill pool only to find a Stonechat on top of a small bush next to the path. I went back for my camera and met Roy and his pack of dogs who had just arrived, what chance of a decent photo now? Roy said there had been 3 Stonechats around the spit for several days and sure enough they were still around.

Female Stonechat

Male Stonechat

1 comment: