Monday 14 October 2013

A day at the Seaside

Monday 14th October 2013
I took myself off to the seaside today. Southend on Sea or to be more exact Gunner's Park, Shoeburyness. The purpose was to see my first Parrot Crossbill. My journey was in vain as I missed the birds by an hour. Lots of ifs and buts about taking a different route, leaving earlier etc. but I dipped pure and simple. The birds had been in trees just behind the sea wall in what used to be park land on an MOD site now a mere remnant of a park eroded by housing developments. There were a few other migrants about though. Blackcap and Chiffchaff and the almost inevitable Yellow browed warbler. A Ring Ouzel was good to see, part of a massive movement of this species on the East coast today. While small groups of Swallows flew south through the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment