Saturday 6 September 2014

Local Hobbies

Friday 5th September 2014
Although most of my local birding is focussed on North Warwickshire I do sometimes stray across the border into Leicestershire, a matter of less than 1/4 mile away. When Dave A invited me to visit a site where Hobbies had been seen regularly I took up the chance. Although relatively close to home it was an area of farmland just beyond Stapleton I was unfamiliar with. After following various paths our first find was, almost predictably this autumn, an immature Redstart. We also found small mixed flocks of Yellowhammers and Chiffchaff before Dave picked up the calls of Hobby. We picked out 4 Hobbies flying around, presumably a family group. Eventually they settled in trees, but too far away for a decent photo.
Hobby, Leicestershire
Redstart

No comments:

Post a Comment