Monday 13 July 2009

The Tame flows on

13th July 2009

Very gradually getting back into local birding more for a bit of exercise than expecting to see much. Picked up Spotted Flycatcher for the year at a site near Atherstone but missed out on a Quail which was heard also near Atherstone. I visited Kingsbury W.P. last Friday, - that place depresses me. Its going down hill fast. It was full of kids when I went. I've nothing against most kids, and I think Outdoor Pursuits is real education but not next to a Nature reserve. Fishers mill was a bit desolate too just one Green Sandpiper and a Little Egret. A Lesser Whitethroat showed well along the canal but where have all the Common terns gone?
Next day I had a wander round Mill pool, Alvecote. Little Egret and a few Sedge warbler were about it. Loads of Butterflies though plus Roy and Adam flitting about.
Today I started at Middleton and walked to the north pit at Drayton Bassett. 2 Green Sandpipers were on Middleton Lake and another one at Fishers Mill. I was surprised how much bird song there was Reed warblers everywhere, Whitethroats, Garden warblers, Blackcaps and Linnets were all in good voice. The north pit was busy with gulls and a couple of noisy Oystercatcher. Best birds of the walk were a couple of juvenile Hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment