Wednesday 23 December 2009

Siberian Stonechat in Notts

Siberian landscape

Siberian Stonechat, Bevercotes, Notts.

Siberian Stonechat

Siberian Stonechat

Siberian Stonechat

Siberian Stonechat

Wednesday 23rd December 2009

Apart from a quick walk round Coton and Fishers Mill yesterday, today was the first time I was able to do some Birding for what's seemed like an eternity. Its just that somethings are more important than Birdwatching - not many I'll grant you, but somethings. I'm just grateful I was able to get out and see the Siberian Stonechat in Notts today. It was only the second one I'd seen, that plus it being a cracking little bird for the Midlands drew me too the frozen wastes of North Notts. Sub species or not was immaterial, it was a great little bird to see and compare with the more familiar birds that winter in Warwickshire. I nearly drove straight there, Sat nav working well except right at the end I drove up a steep snow covered farm track where even Skodas fear to go. I gave it a bit to get me up the slope and pranged the undercarriage, sounded a bit expensive. It wasnt until I slid to the top that I questioned whether I was going the right way. A dog walker (bless 'em) confirmed I was going nowhere and implored me to get out of the car so that he could show me the error of my ways.
A couple of minutes later I was trekking through the snow on what was now a lovely morning. there were a few birders/photographers on site but not looking anywhere in paticular. It wasnt too long though before the bird was located in an area of rough grassland. Eventually it showed well but was always on the move it and had a habit of completely disappearing for awhile.
My journey home was punctuated by an almost fruitless search for a hot drink. The bits of the A1 and A46 I travelled on were not well blessed with coffee outlets. I seem to become invisible when I go in a Little Chef, admittedly the first one was heaving but the second one had only one other couple in and still I was ignored. Must be my green birding fleece blending in with the decor. After 5 attempts I got my coffee, just outside Leicester!

No comments:

Post a Comment