Saturday 6 February 2010

England v Wales

Saturday 6th February 2010

Theres something about the 6 Nations thats completely different from any other Sporting occasion. I was brought up on it. I lived it. Ive been to Cardiff, Twickenham, Parc de Princs and Murrayfield. Each has its own disinctive atmosphere. I can only remember bits and pieces of the matches probably because I'd drunk too much Brain's, 80 shillings or wine, soaking up the pre match atmosphere. Magic memories. I shed a tear during the minutes applause for Bill Mclaren before todays game. He was so much about what was good about the game in my childhood. Every time the 6 Nations comes around it takes me back, particularly England v Wales. There was an era when the games were turgid affairs endless kicks for touch and Lineouts but then the flashes of brilliance from Jonathan Davis, Phil Bennett or Gerald Davies stood out even more.
I enjoyed todays game. It mattered. Tradition and expectations weighed heavily on both sides. So there were mistakes and a delicious uncertainty about the outcome. Not alot of cohesive attacking Rugby but total commitment. Was ever thus.

1 comment: