Monday 1 February 2010

Gulls at Stubber's Green, West Mids.

Iceland Gull, Stubbers Green nr.Walsall West Mids.

Caspian Gull

Iceland Gull

Iceland Gull

Iceland Gull

Iceland Gull

Garden Pheasant

Caspian Gull

Caspian Gull

Monday 1st February 2010

Bit of a surprise in the bedroom this morning, well not actually in the bedroom, from the bedroom. I almost had one, a garden tick that is. Looked out of the bedroom window and there sitting on my neighbour's fence was a cock Pheasant. The bird proceeded to do a tour of several gardens but refused to visit mine. Thats Garden Birding for you. Anyway I wasnt going to hang around on such a beautiful day. There were birds to be looked for, but where ? I fancied Stubbers Green, Walsall. Not Warwickshire I know but the prospects of some good Gulls at a reasonable viewing distance took me beyond Tamworth up the A5.
Clearly several birders had the same idea as a steady number came and went. The 2w Iceland gull showed well, but the attraction for most of the birders was finding a Caspian Gull. For many Caspian Gull is the Holy Grail of winter birding. Not because they're particularly rare but because for many like me they represent such an identification challenge. It was a chap from Drayton Bassett found a near adult Caspian gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment