Thursday 8 April 2010

Staying local

Thursday 6th April

Birding was limited today so I took myself off to an area of farmland near the Merevale estate near Atherstone. I parked at St Mary's church and followed various footpaths around Baxterley and Grendon keeping to the higher ground. I wasnt too optimistic about finding migrants after such a clear night but almost straight away I came across a male Wheatear. Unfortunately that was as good as it got but it was such a beautiful day it didnt matter so much. Willow warblers were everywhere making the most of the sunshine. Other birds seen on the 3 hour walk included Goldcrest, Skylark, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Great spotted and Green Woodpecker. The biggest surprise though was 4 Little ringed plover on a tiny patch of waste ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment