Sunday 29 March 2009

Raptor Watch








Sunday 29th March 2009
Didn't want to venture too far today but it was such a great day I had to do a bit. Started off just up the road near Higham on the Hill, Leicestershire I know, but hey. Lots of Common Buzzard activity with a few Yellowhammer brightening up the hedges and Chiffchaff singing. Moved back to higher ground near Merevale Hall which gives outstanding views to the east. You can just see Skegness if youve had too many pints of 'Rest in Peace'. Again Common Buzzards everywhere but also saw 4 Ravens, 2 Sparrowhawks and a Peregrine.
On to Warton and a walk over towards the M42 plenty of Common Buzzards but precious little else, a few pairs of Reed Buntings, a couple of Yellowhammer and a few Skylarks were on show, a single Swallow seemed out of place but was a welcome sight nonetheless.

Next stop was the Farm shop at Grendon for supplies and then on to Alvecote pools. Mill pool had 5 Shelduck and a few Lapwing. I followed the hedge to look for waders on Teal pool but turned at the end of the hedge to see an Osprey (125) flying away from me over Mill pool. It was quite high but eventually turned to circle over the North end of the pool. I fired off a few record shots hoping the bird would fly back towards me but it drifted on over the Pretty Pigs pool and continued on its way north. I phoned Archie Archer who managed to get a distant view of the bird from near his house. I know Ospreys are being seen fairly regularly in the Midlands now but it still gives me a thrill to see one in the local area.

After all that excitment it was back to the car for some refreshment. I have recorded the final tragic moments in the life of an Ascot Pork pie (see photo) its fate sealed as only seconds later it is devoured by yours truely. Theres no room for sentiment, Pork pies are created to be eated and enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment