Wednesday 12 May 2010

Temminck's Stints at Coleshill Gravel pits

Temminck's Stint, Coleshill G.Ps

Temminck's Stint

Temminck's Stint

Temminck's Stint

Red legged Partridge, Ham's Hall

Wednesday 12th May 2010

The forecast of heavy showers encouraged me to get out and look for waders in particular. After such a spectacular day yesterday I went for the Tame valley again. Shustoke res. had 2 Common terns and a lot of Hirundines low over the water. I checked out Coleshill, the Wood Sandpiper was still there but no new birds. Coton was quiet with a single Common tern as was Cliff pool, Kingsbury again with just a couple of Common tern and a Little ringed plover. Middleton lake also had a couple of Common tern. After a coffee at the Courtyard it was time to have a look at Fishers Mill. I wasn't optimistic about finding much as the work parties had been out. There was a Hobby over the 2 Fishers Mill pools but nothing else of note.
I popped in to ASDA at Tamworth for a few bits and bobs and while I was at the check out Steve Cawthray rang to say there were 3 Temminck's Stints (152) at Coleshill Gravel pits. Checkouts can be tricky enough but getting news of a good local bird puts great demands on your concentration. The girl was very understanding and luckily there was none else in the queue as I struggled to complete my transaction.
Temminck's Stint is one of the rarer wader visitors to Warwickshire so to see 3 together was outstanding.
Total of bird species reported in Warks. in 2010 = 175

No comments:

Post a Comment