Saturday 28 February 2009

Always a pleasure







Saturday 28th February 2009

I met up with John (The Drunkbirder) Hague and his mate Skev from Leicester on Edison road, Hams hall to show them some of the delights of Warwickshire birding, if not Warwickshire scenery. . First to the Sewage outfall to look for Firecrest. I could see they were impressed with my skills as a guide as the bird failed to put in an appearance after an hour but they were too polite to say anything. We moved on to Forge Mill, Coleshill, surely the Black Redstart wouldn't let me down. It didnt, in fact it put on an excellent show for my friends from Pork pie land. Tom Perrins showed briefly but became surprisingly elusive.
I've taken a shot of the paparazzi attracted by the Black Redstart. Although it appears the bird is being crowded I can say that the photographers in no way interferred with the birds normal behaviour pattern. I know this is not always the case with rarer species but on this occasion the bird's well being was never compromised.
We had another go for the Firecrest but again no show. John left and I moved on to Broomey Croft for a coffee and then to Middleton. An RSPB work party were busy putting gravel on the islands at Fishers Mill so I carried on to the Drayton Bassett pools. Not very much to see just Little Egret, Kingfisher, Treecreeper, Redshank and the usual assortment of Gulls and Ducks. A Raven flew over calling on the walk back.

3 comments:

  1. Great shots of a great bird Bob. Don't worry, you are not being held personally responsible for the Firecrest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak for yourself. I hold Bob fully responsible for Firecrestgate as it's now being called by some people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't elusive Bob - just trying to find my own birds ;-))

    ReplyDelete