Tuesday 3 February 2009

Brandon Marsh








Tuesday 3rd February


Fed up with the almost hysterical way the media was treating a bit of snow I had to get out today. I decided on Brandon Marsh because I thought access wouldn't be a problem. It was very pleasant walking round in the sun, the pools were partially frozen and the vegetation had a covering of snow. As usual the Robins queued up to be photographed but other species such as Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Great spotted Woodpecker, Siskin and Redpoll were less obliging. A single Raven flew over and a variety of ducks: Mallard, Shoveler, Goldeneye, Teal, Gadwall, Tufted duck, Pochard and Shelduck were seen from East Marsh hide. I had hoped for another glimpse of the Bittern but eventually gave up as my extremities became numb. I retired to the coffee shop to find Paul Doherty still extoling the virtues of Arundel on a winter's day.

Fortified by the hot beverage I went back for more, I explored the West Marsh area but didn't find anything to add to the list. Back in East Marsh hide I was told I'd just missed the Bittern in flight. I decided to wait, as the temperature dropped my companions left. It was only when I was alone that the Bittern appeared on the ice.

2 comments: