Thursday 7 January 2010

Ladywalk in the Snow

Ladywalk N.R. in the Snow

Brambling

Brambling

Grey Heron

Ice Rail

Ice Rail

Fieldfare

Brambling - single bird in riverside trees opposite stables.

Thursday 7th January 2010
Getting a taste for this winter birding, blue skies, snow, good light, no wind, cold, just need a few birds. While I think of it, saw a Kestrel trying to take Pied wagtails in the ASDA car park at Tamworth. I'm not sure how successful it was but like most predators Kestrels can be very inventive and opportunistic.
I spent most of the day at Ladywalk Nature reserve. There was a flock of Fieldfare around the reserve car park and at least 15 Gadwall and a Goosander on the river. On the walk to Riverwalk hide a pair of Linnet were feeding on weeds along the river bank and a single Brambling was in trees opposite the stables. I was sure I'd had a brief glimpse of an unseasonable Curlew but it was probably a Woodcock as it landed in cover. Great spotted and Green Woodpeckers were seen but there was no sign of any Bitterns while I was there. The only bird seen on the ice was in fact a Water Rail. After a quick look in hide B it was time for a coffee and a chat at Polly's. The girls were as usual very enthusiastic in telling me about the Bullfinches, Woodpeckers and other birds they had seen from their mobile Cafe. Back at Tamworth I searched in vain for a fuse for my wiper blade motor. Clearly a lot of other people had blown the fuse by trying to clear their windscreens with the blades glued to the glass by ice. Be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment